The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting us all in different ways. No matter your situation, sometimes you just need to press pause. We have put together a list of ways you can bring the outdoors home and stay connected to the state parks you love.
As you take a break, share your photos or how you are using the outdoors to cope with the impact of COVID-19. Tag us on social media at @calparks on Twitter and Instagram, and California State Parks Foundation on Facebook.
- Learn about California’s history through our state historic parks. The story of our California is woven into the fabric of our 47 state historic parks. Explore them virtually now!
- Plan your next camping trip… at your house! Just because your favorite state park campgrounds are closed, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the escape of camping from your own home.
- Get to know the plants and wildlife in your neighborhood. Share what you see on iNaturalist! It will help you keep track of your observations and has a community of experts who can identify the organisms you observe.
- Look through your favorite park photos. Submit your best California state park photos to our photo of the month contest and you could be our next winner!
- Meditate to forest sounds. Practice physical distancing and self-care by relaxing to these calming forest sounds.
- Have an indoor picnic. Open up a door or window, spread a blanket out, and enjoy your next meal as a picnic. Try one of these recipes!
- Take a virtual tour of a California state park. Use Google Trekker to visit many of our beautiful parks right from your computer, tablet, or smart phone.
- Get adventurous on your next Zoom meeting. Download one of our California state parks Zoom backgrounds and show your love for state parks! (LINK TBD)
- Check out the Jelly Cam. The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s “Jelly Cam” gives you an up-close look at the delicate sea nettles in their Open Sea exhibit.
- Read up on California state parks. Check out one of these amazing books on California state parks and nature.
- Explore California. Learn more about California’s incredible state parks through our Explore California blog series. Each post includes in-depth history of the park to give you an inside look at our incredible park system.
- Share campfire stories with friends on a video chat platform (facetime, skype, or zoom). Use on of these spooky tales or tell you own!
- Take a trip down memory lane. See how people have championed their California and celebrate with our 50th Anniversary photo album.
- Podcasts to help you escape. From the comfort of your own home, close your eyes and try one of these outdoor and nature-themed podcasts to instantly be transported to another place.
Please continue to protect yourself, your families, and communities from COVID-19 and remember to practice physical and social distancing.