The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting us all in different ways. No matter your situation, sometimes you just need to press pause. We have put together a list of ways you can bring the outdoors home and stay connected to the state parks you love. Each week, we this page will be updated with 5 new ways you can bring the outdoors home.
As you take a break, share your photos or how you are using the outdoors to cope with the impact of COVID-19. Tag us on social media at @calparks on Twitter and Instagram, and California State Parks Foundation on Facebook.
- Learn about California’s history through our state historic parks. The story of our California is woven into the fabric of our 47 state historic parks. Explore them virtually now!
- Plan your next camping trip… at your house! Just because your favorite state park campgrounds are closed, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the escape of camping from your own home.
- Get to know the plants and wildlife in your neighborhood. Share what you see on iNaturalist! It will help you keep track of your observations and has a community of experts who can identify the organisms you observe.
- Look through your favorite park photos. Submit your best California state park photos to our photo of the month contest and you could be our next winner!
- Meditate to forest sounds. Practice physical distancing and self-care by relaxing to these calming forest sounds.
- Have an indoor picnic. Open up a door or window, spread a blanket out, and enjoy your next meal as a picnic. Try one of these recipes!
- Take a virtual tour of a California state park. Use Google Trekker to visit many of our beautiful parks right from your computer, tablet, or smart phone.
- Get adventurous on your next Zoom meeting. Download one of our California state parks Zoom backgrounds and show your love for state parks! (LINK TBD)
- Check out the Jelly Cam. The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s “Jelly Cam” gives you an up-close look at the delicate sea nettles in their Open Sea exhibit.
- Read up on California state parks. Check out one of these amazing books on California state parks and nature.
- Celebrate Earth Day digital with us! Celebrate the 50th anniversary Earth Day and California State Parks Foundation online.
- Explore California. Learn more about California’s incredible state parks through our Explore California blog series. Each post includes in-depth history of the park to give you an inside look at our incredible park system.
- Share campfire stories with friends on a video chat platform (facetime, skype, or zoom). Use on of these spooky tales or tell you own!
- Take a trip down memory lane. See how people have championed their California and celebrate with our 50th Anniversary photo album.
- Podcasts to help you escape. From the comfort of your own home, close your eyes and try one of these outdoor and nature-themed podcasts to instantly be transported to another place.
- Virtually explore parks this Earth Day with the Department of Parks and Recreation and PORTS. Join them live from the California state parks you love.
Please continue to protect yourself, your families, and communities from COVID-19 and remember to practice physical and social distancing.