The Volunteer Program Coordinator supports the execution of the volunteer program’s strategy and goals (including year-round workdays and Earth Day Climate Action activities). This role supports California State Parks Foundation’s mission by organizing and executing workdays that enhance visitor experience, build climate resilient parks, preserve history and culture, and protect wildlife and nature.
Reports to: Associate Director of Philanthropy
Location: San Francisco or Sacramento
Start Date: September 1, 2021
Mission: Protecting and preserving the California state park system, for the benefit of all. Vision: We envision an inspiring and welcoming state park system where there is access for all, adequate and sustainable funding, and parks are protected for future generations.
Volunteer Workdays (20%)
- In collaboration with the Volunteer Program Manager, Associate Director of Philanthropy, and others, execute a comprehensive strategy to support our mission through volunteerism.
- Attend a minimum of four volunteer workdays a year, plus selected volunteer appreciation events and special sponsor workdays.
- As needed, lead select workdays in Bay Area state parks.
- Conduct grassroots outreach for upcoming events to recruit new volunteers, core leaders, and potential community partner organizations.
- Support annual Earth Day Climate Action planning.
Database Management (30%)
- Maintain online registration tools (i.e., HandsOn Connect, Salesforce) to promote volunteer opportunities.
- Manage volunteer, park staff, and park partner profiles.
- Manage post event metrics (attendance, program impact, etc.) and reports in Salesforce.
- Conduct bi-weekly audits to ensure data accuracy.
Administrative Program Support (50%)
- Responsible for managing the volunteer email inbox and phone lines to respond to public inquiries and questions regarding volunteer events and other California State Parks Foundation programs.
- Support volunteer core leaders – update leadership materials and resources and assist with core leader trainings and webinars.
- Perform administrative duties such typing reports and memos, scheduling meetings, taking meeting minutes, maintaining electronic and hard copy files and waivers, sending packages, and managing inventory of event supplies.
- Draft program-specific content as needed for California State Parks Foundation’s website and external communications such as blog posts, E-News, social media posts, collateral materials, and additional platforms that share program successes, volunteer experiences, and impact measurements.
- Manage bi-annual surveys sent to program stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to California State Parks Foundation’s mission
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience with coordination and/or administrative experience
- Familiarity with the California state park system, environmental, and/or conservation practices preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Strong writing and problem-solving skills required
- Strong project management abilities required; familiarity with tools such as Salesforce, HandsOn Connect, Asana, Slack, Flickr, Survey Monkey, Expensify, Avid, Zoom preferred
- Confident and comfortable communicating with volunteers and partners
- Ability to work well independently and in a team-based environment
- Willingness to pitch in and perform other tasks as needed
- Ability and willingness to travel across California to state parks as needed, occasionally engaging in vigorous outdoor activities, is required
- Valid driver license required.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This exempt position starts at a salary of $50,000, depending on experience. Employee benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, and paid vacation, holidays, and sick time.