Title: Southern California – Park Champions Field Consultant
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Greater San Diego Area
Post date: July 23, 2019
Protecting and preserving the California State Park system, for the benefit of all.
We envision an inspiring and welcoming state park system where there is access for all, adequate and sustainable funding, and parks are protected for future generations.
California State Parks Foundation (CSPF) seeks a Southern California Park Champions Field Consultant to help us maintain and expand our successful Volunteer Program in the greater San Diego and Orange County Area. Field Consultants are our boots on the ground coordinators of volunteer projects in parks. They plan and attend projects in parks, and provide mentoring and support for Lead Volunteers.
This is a contract position; flexible schedule; part-time. Hours will vary according to time of year. Weekend work required; must be able to travel, largely within Southern California.
Year-Round Volunteer Event Planning (50%):
Communication with park staff and volunteer leadership about volunteer projects, such as plant identification and management, fence building, painting, and trail work;
- Create work plans for volunteer projects;
- Produce timely after event reports;
- Lead and facilitate all technical aspects of volunteer work days;
- Assist with program expansion, promotion, volunteer recruitment, etc.;
Volunteer Training and Support (40%):
- Nurture and mentor volunteers in leadership positions;
- Help prepare for, observe, and/or lead volunteer training sessions and appreciation events;
- Foster a cheerful atmosphere, comradery, and team-building among volunteers;
Earth Day and Community Open House Planning (10%):
- Assist with planning Earth Day Events and Family Festivals
- Must be personable and outgoing, with excellent people skills;
- Demonstrated credibility with city, county or state parks staff;
- Experience or expertise in land management, conservation, construction, carpentry, landscaping, trails maintenance, or similar fields;
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently;
- Must be very organized and detail-oriented;
- Must enjoy working with children and adults;
- Proficient in Word and Excel;
- Should have an interest in the environment, parks, and/or open space issues.
This consultant position offers a flat fee of $40,008 annually, payed in monthly increments. No benefits.