"STATE PARKS ARE GREAT PLACES FOR YOU AND ME" CAPITOL EXPO TO HIGHLIGHT STATE PARKS ACTIVITIES
California State Parks Foundation (CSPF) and representatives from organizations that support state parks.
An outdoor expo featuring activities, information, and images of state parks along the pedestrian walkway on the North Steps of the Capitol, as part of CSPF’s “State Parks are Great Places” campaign. With more than 20 organizations participating, activities during the expo will include:
- Sampling of freshly churned butter
- Viewing of plant samples and animal skulls
- Examining water and plankton samples through microscopes and performing water testing
- Finding your next park adventure
- Learning about the importance of recycling and how to keep California clean
- Tasting mole from the Mole and Mariachi Festival at Santa Cruz Mission State Historic Park
- Making tissue paper flowers
- Viewing a pictorial history of the Cushing Memorial Amphitheatre located at Mount Tamalpais State Park
- Exploring a Mobile Interpretive Station that includes bones, pelts, photos and videos
- Talking with docents in historic dress
- Learning about post fire research at Mount Diablo State Park
- Using binoculars and telescopes to communicate
- Watching a documentary of the California's 'Lost Sierra'
- Viewing a watershed diorama and learning about Marine Protected Areas at the Mobile Marine Education Van, aka the Steward Ship
Tuesday, May 5, 2015
11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
The State Capitol (North Steps – L street side), Sacramento, CA
As part of CSPF’s 13th Annual Park Advocacy Day, CSPF is showcasing the many exciting and innovative programs, events and activities that state park partner organizations offer, and how these programs help to improve the lives of Californians on a daily basis.
- Hands-on demonstrations and activities of programs occurring in state parks
- Docents in historic dress
- A Mobile Interpretive Station (MINT) van that includes bones, pelts and photos
- A mobile marine education van, Stewards Ship that features hands-on activities, watershed diorama, decomposition timeline focusing on marine debris and interpretive posters and displays about the marine protected areas and wildlife
- Oversized posters that will line the walkway to the State Capitol will include:
- California state parks map
- “California’s State Parks are Great Places for You and Me” infographic
- Photo collage from photos submitted as part of the “California’s State Parks are Great Places for You and Me” campaign